Featured Post

Starting the Journey

I worked my butt off in high school, and then I worked my butt off in college. I cared very little about anything except grades and jobs. I ...

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Counting Sheep Seriously Doesn't Work

Sleep has been the most underrated element of health in my life since I stopped having nap time in elementary school. I would fill my days so full that only a few hours were left for sleep each night. In college, this, like most of my other bad habits, got worse. I would go to sleep around 2am every morning and wake up usually at about 6 or 7 for class or sleep all the way until noon or later. There was no consistency, and I had a completely sporadic sleep rhythm, but I didn't think anything of it.

My junior and senior years of college, I started taking naps in the afternoon only to wake up several hours later groggy and unable to fall asleep at a reasonable hour for the night. I figured naps would help fill in the gaps in my sleeping patterns, but I was exacerbating the problem. I just always thought I was a night owl.

When I graduated from college, I started working two part-time jobs and was out of the house from 8 am - 9:30 pm most days of the week. Naps were no longer an option, but I still did not give myself the hours of sleep I needed. It was some sort of sick inner competition to see how much I could get done in a day. I was late for work almost every morning because I was physically unable to wake up to one, two, three.... seven alarms. I would wake up not remembering turning off all those alarms and shoot out of bed in a state of utter panic at the time I was supposed to be leaving the house. I never had the chance to eat breakfast or put myself together before leaving. I never felt presentable, and I was groggy all the way until lunchtime. When I got home, I would finally feel awake and comfortable and proceed to say up until I couldn't keep my eyes open.

For two years I did this with occasional days of just sleeping all day to "make up" for late nights. When I moved to Texas, I started graduate school and the terrible cycle continued. At this point, I decided to start trying to go to bed earlier. I was working and going to school and doing homework, and I was tired all the time, so this was a fantastic decision, except that it didn't work. I couldn't fall asleep earlier. I would just lay in bed for sometimes a couple hours before finally drifting off to sleep at my normal ridiculous hour.

While this felt like a hopeless situation, I have found three things so far that have helped my commit to going to sleep and waking up at a reasonable hour everyday, even weekends. Since it has become a priority, I can't even imagine how I made it all those years on as little sleep as I did.

1. Knowledge of the dangers of sleep deprivation: Sleep deprivation is directly connected to weight gain and inability to lose weight, high blood pressure, impaired blood sugar management, increased stress, and overall increased inflammation. That list is pretty nasty, and that isn't everything! Lack of sleep impacts the whole body, brain, and attitude. Realizing the harm that my sleeping pattern was doing to my body, I added sleep to the top of the list of elements of health that I had to turn around in my life.
(Harvard University's Page on the Connection Between Sleep and Health)

2. Lavender essential oil: I began using lavender oil some time ago, but I was never consistent with it. I would use it for a couple days, and then I would start feeling a little more refreshed, so I would forget about it. Recently, in the last couple months, I have been diffusing lavender oil in my bedroom every night, and my husband, Jacob, and I have both been amazed with the benefits. I fall asleep within 10 minutes every night, and I feel rested when I wake up! I also find that it has dramatically decreased the worries (sensation of not being able to "turn my mind off") at night.

Lavender has been used for a really long time for relaxation and as a sleep aid.
For more info:
University of Maryland Medical Center's Page on Lavender

The best part, though, is that it is a natural remedy rather than a synthetic/manufactured one.
I use Doterra Lavender Oil because it is high grade and responsibly sourced.
For more info: Doterra lavender oil product sheet

If you want to try using lavender oil as a natural sleep aid or as a general relaxation enhancer, consider the following methods.

--Diffuser: I use a diffuser at night that I turn on before going to bed and turn off when I wake up. If you are not familiar, a diffuser uses a cool water mist to disperse the oils throughout the air at regular intervals. Here is the diffuser that I have (Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser). Really any cool mist diffuser that is made for essential is fine.

--Linen Spray: If you don't have a diffuser and are not ready to purchase one, a lavender linen spray can bring the benefits to you while you sleep, but it won't last as long since you will just spray it on your bed/pillow before falling asleep.

To make a lavender linen spray: In a 4 oz. glass spray bottle, mix 6-10 drops of lavender essential oil and 4 oz. of witch hazel or vodka. Shake and spray!

(Since oil and water don't mix, the witch hazel or vodka mix with the oil and act as a carrier)

--Topical application: The foot is a great place for essential oils to be absorbed and used by the body. To use this method, simply mix 1 Tbsp. of organic coconut oil with 1-2 drops of lavender essential oil. Rub a finger-full of this mixture on the ball of the feet and on the bottom of the big toe. Pay special attention to the skin between the big toe and the second toe. Then, put on a pair of cotton socks, and relax! I had great success with this method before I got a diffuser!

3. Plexus Triplex: I know my last post was all about Plexus, but I had to mention it again since it has played a major part in my being able to wake up in the morning. The combination of the three different products that I take has enabled to wake up to my first alarm, feel refreshed, and not long to crawl back in bed.

So, where am I today? I now go to sleep at around 9:00 pm and wake up at around 4:30-5:00 am every day, and  I am more productive than I used to be by a long shot!

If you struggle with similar sleep issues, I would love to hear what works for you or if the methods suggested above work for you!



No comments:

Post a Comment